Thursday, February 20, 2014

Work in Progress

Just because a family decides to keep their children at home instead of sending them to school does not mean that mom (or dad) is instantly blessed with a deep well of patience. In fact, being around your children all of the time may cause your patience to be stretched even thinner. Some of us struggle with this more than others. 

I struggle hourly.


Dear Daughter,

When I have asked (and told) you at least a thousand times over the last four years NOT to drag your giant Tinkerbell blanket through the house, or leave it in the middle of the kitchen floor, it wasn't because I didn't want you to be warm.  It was not because I did not want you to have the comfort of your soft, cuddly blanket.

I have slipped on it and tripped over it more times than I can count. You have dragged train tracks, coloring pages, pieces of waffles that didn't quite make it to your mouth at breakfast, shoes and countless other objects through the house. You have knocked over brooms and chairs and most recently my expensive, very-much-loved, vintage spinning wheel.

When I heard it clattering to the floor, I may have overreacted a bit. When I discovered the leg was broken, I may have yelled more than I meant to. I will admit it. I am sorry. I was wrong. I was a poor example. I try to have patience and be kind, even in my anger, but sometimes I just lose it. Completely. It happens more often that I like to admit. I felt little sympathy for your tears. I was so angry. Hadn't I just told you half an hour ago to stop dragging that darn blanket through the house?

After I calmed down, my empathy kicked in and I realized how awful you must feel. I went to you and apologized and accepted your apology. I love you so much, Ryleigh and I am sorry that my anger hurt you. I am a work in progress, and I need your patience the same that you need mine. Thank you for being so understanding.

Love Always,
Your Mom

P.S.

The spinning wheel is in rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment